Friday, September 4, 2015

Down the dirt road with my Australian Shepherd

My Australian Shepherd and I have more fun walking down dirt paths and dusty trails. We even live on a dirt road.  Like life, our feet never stay clean. We're forever in need of pedicures and foot washings because we get dirty.   All pilgrims in this world do too.

How refreshing to stop at a house where they understand how great it feels to have your feet washed! In America, we seldom (if ever) invite the stranger in for a refreshing foot bath.  Can it be because we are losing our agricultural base? Our feet, seldom bare and in animal skin sandals are encrusted with the grime that comes for plowing, planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting.  Clearly, it was this way in Biblical times. Shoes and sandals (handmade from hides) were difficult to clean and were often caked with soil.


The woman of the house considered it an honor to not only wash her family's feet, but weary strangers.  What have we really forsaken by laying down the towel and the pan of warm water? I ask myself so many questions about the gracious role of nurturing Christ has called us as females. In my youth, I was indoctrinated to believe that every traditional role a woman had was offensive.  When I look at where this has lead women and even men, all I can do is leave out a deep sigh.


Consider the fact the Jesus took up the towel and the water dish. He considered himself equal to a woman, which in his day was unheard of. Women were cut off from learning the torah, worshipping in the same manner as men, and I'm sure more. But Jesus Christ, the risen savior, took a towel and placed the pan of fresh water at his disciples feet and washed their dirty feet.  He looked into their eyes and said, "If you want to be a part of me, do this in memory of me."


What a hub-bub Christ created, right? I'm sure of it, but because they loved this man who spoke words of life like no one else, they submitted.  


I've been defiant and hard to get along with. In fact, ashamed of being a woman because of all the buzzing of a confused culture in my ear.  But that's changed. I've had a good foot washing and am learning the honor bestowed on us to wash a pilgrim's feet, oh and give their dog a drink of water!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye Greeting Cards...

Went through all the cards I bought to send out to friends and family. Some I have sent and others have not been  Went through all the car...